Buy Assurant stock at a discount
The Employee Stock Purchase Plan allows you to buy shares of Assurant stock at least at a 10% discount with funds you contribute through after-tax payroll deductions. Owning Assurant stock allows you to participate in the financial performance of the company.
Participation in the ESPP is entirely voluntary. Stock ownership has certain risks and may not be a wise investment for you. In addition, there are income tax implications of investing in the ESPP, as reflected in your country specific ESPP prospectus. Please consult a financial and tax adviser to ensure that participating in the ESPP is appropriate for your individual situation and investment risk profile.
During the enrollment period, you are eligible to participate in the ESPP if:
- You are regularly scheduled to work at least 20 hours per week for at least five months per year, and
- You have been continuously employed for at least six months by the start of the offering period, and
- You are not a temporary employee or independent contractor, and
- You have not been on a leave of absence for more than 90 days immediately preceding the offering period.
Each calendar year, there are two six-month offering periods, one that runs from January 1 through June 30 and another that runs from July 1 through December 31. Each pay period you can contribute between 1% and 15% of your base compensation and commissions toward the purchase of Assurant stock. The maximum contribution amount is $7,500 per offering period, for a total of $15,000 per year.
When you participate in the ESPP, your contributions accumulate, without interest, until the end of the offering period. At that time, Morgan Stanley purchases on your behalf whole and fractional shares of Assurant stock equal to the value of your accumulated contributions. The purchase price of your shares will be 90% of the lower of:
- The closing price of Assurant stock on the offering date (the first trading day of the offering period), or
- The closing price of Assurant stock on the purchase date (the last trading day of the offering period).
You must be employed on the last trading day of the offering period in order to purchase Assurant stock under the ESPP.
Shares of stock purchased on your behalf are credited to your ESPP stock account. This account is a special brokerage account that is set up in your name with Morgan Stanley for ESPP shares only. The stock account is established when your initial shares of Assurant stock are purchased, not when your contributions are deducted from your pay. You have full ownership rights to all of the shares of stock held in your stock account.